Learning in Focus
Wednesday, July 28, 2021
Today is Buffalo Soldiers Day, Milk Chocolate Day, National Waterpark Day, and World Hepatitis Day.
July is National Parks & Recreation Month and National Ice Cream Month.
Songs of the Day
Today's Theme: Under the Microscope and Buffalo Soldiers
ON THIS DATE
SONG OF THE DAY
- Bob Marley - Buffalo Soldier - LISTEN
THEME: UNDER THE MICROSCOPE
- Grades 6-12 - NHPBS LearningMedia - Quest - Microscopes for the Masses - VIEW
- Grades 6-12 - NHPBS learning Media - X-ray Microscope: Seeing Cells in 3D - VIEW
- Grades 6-12 - NHPBS LearningMedia - Gross Science - See Microbes with This DIY Phone Microscope - VIEW and DO
- Grades 6-12 - NHPBS LearningMedia - Our Hungry Planet - What's up with Your Gut Microbiome? - VIEW and DO
- Grades 9-12 - NHPBS LearningMedia - Eons - What a Dinosaur Looks like under a Microscope - VIEW
- Grades 9-12 - NHPBS LearningMedia - Eons - How Two Microbes Changed History -VIEW
- Grades 9-12 - NHPBS LearningMedia - SciTech Now - The Half-Mile Long Microscope - VIEW and DO
THEME: BUFFALO SOLDIERS
- Grades 5-12 - National Museum of African America History and Culture - Buffalo Soldiers -READ and VIEW
- Grades 5-12 - National Park Service - Charles Youg Buffalo Soldier Monument - READ
- GRades 5-12 - Yosemite National Park - Buffalo Soldiers - READ
- Grades 6-12 - NHPBS LearningMedia - Moments in Time - Buffalo Soldiers in New Mexico - VIEW and DO
- Grades 6-12 - NHPBS LearningMedia - American Experience - Buffalo Soldiers Fight Fires and Stereotypes - VIEW and DO
- Grades 6-12 - NHPBS Video - Untold Stories: Yosemite's Buffalo Soldiers - VIEW
National Remote Learning Resources
NHPBS and PBS have curated FREE, standards-aligned videos, interactives, lesson plans, and more for educators. You can also create your own lessons and assignments to meet the needs of your students.
Searchable online video courses and interactives across the curriculum and grade levels in areas like chemistry, literature, music, the visual arts, social studies, world languages storytelling, spelling and lots more.
Everyday Scholastic will feature four learning experiences, built around a story or video.
A series of imaginatively produced videos featuring celebrated actors reading children's books.
Local Learning Resources
The best of NH learning resources from around the state.
McAuliffe-Shepard Discovery Center
New Hampshire Public Radio:
- Civics 101 - Tons of great (and free!) audio, activities, resources, and lessons to help you stay engaged with civics.
- Ask Sam - Ask Sam features Outside/In host Sam Evans-Brown answering listener questions about the mysteries and quirks of the natural world.
Seacoast Science Center in Odiorne Point State Park
- Learning Connection - Even though their doors are closed, we’re still here to connect you to the inspirational powers of nature and engage you in learning.
Squam Lakes Natural Science Center
Strawbery Banke Museum
- Online Learning - Virtual Tours, the Virtual Classroom, artifacts of the week, featured items from the Collections, Horticulture Learning Center materials, and more.
Tiger Takes On
PBS Kids for Teachers/Caregivers/Parents
- PBS for Parents
A guide of PBS resources targeted for parents teaching kids, features a great activity finder
- PBS Education
The greatest teachers ignite a love of learning and a sense of possibility that motivates students to reach their full potential.
- PBS Teachers' Lounge
This site has great teaching tips, ideas, resources and support for teachers.
- PBS KIDS Games app
Offers nearly 200 educational games, which can be downloaded for offline play anytime, anywhere.