The Eyes Have It Learning
Thursday, October 14, 2021
Today is World Sight Day and National Dessert Day.
This is National Metric Week, Earth Science Week, and Teen Read Week.
October is Apple Month, Chili Month, Down Syndrome Awareness Month, Dyslexia Awareness Month, Bullying Prevention Month, Country Music Month, National Arts & Humanities Month, Bat Appreciation Month, and Raptor Month.
On This Date
Songs of the Day
Today's Theme: Sight and The Cuban Missile Crisis
ON THIS DATE
SONGS OF THE DAY
- Van Morrison - Brown-eyed Girl - LISTEN
- Kim Carnes - Bette Davis Eye - LISTEN
- Jackson Browne - Doctor My Eyes - LISTEN
- Jimmie Cliff - I Can See Clearly Now - LISTEN
- Grades PreK-1 - Sesame Street - Abby and Prince Charming Go to the Eye Doctor (1:23) - VIEW
- Grades K-4 - Wild Kratts -Techno Googly-Eyes (2:51) - VIEW
- Grades K-4 - PBS LearningMedia - Wild Kratts - Eight-eyed Monster (3:04) - VIEW and DO
- Grades K-4 - PBS LearningMedia - Wild Kratts - Night Primates (1:33) - VIEW and DO
- Grades 2-6 - PBS LearningMedia - A-Z Career Lab - Ophthalmologist (5:34) - VIEW
- Grades 3-8 - PBS LearningMedia - National Institutes of Health - Ask a Scientist - Eyes and Sight Collection (1:55) - VIEW
- Grades 4-6 - PBS LearningMedia - Science Trek - Eyes Collection - VIEW
- Grades 4-6 - NHPBS Video - Science Trek - Eyes: Seeing is Believing (4:10) - VIEW
- Grades 6-12 - NHPBS Video - Nova - How Sharp Are an Eagle's Eyes? (2:45) - VIEW
- Grades 6-12 - PBS LearningMEdia - Physics Girl - Could You Replace Your Eye with a Camera? (5:37) - VIEW
- Grades 6-12 - PBS LearningMedia - It's Okay to Be Smart - Can Evolution Make an Eye? - 12 Days of Evolution #4 (1:47) - VIEW
- Grades 6-12 - NHPBS Video - It's Okay to Be Smart - Is Your Eye Color Real? (5:21) - VIEW
- Grades 6-12 - NHPBS Video - Reactions - What Are Eye Boogers? (1:47) - VIEW
- Grades 6-12 - PBS LearningMedia - Operation Wild - Cataract Surgery in the Wild (11:51) - VIEW
- Grades 6-12 - PBS LearningMedia - Dissection 101: Detailed Cow Eye Dissection Video Part 1 (4:17) - VIEW and DO
- Grades 6-12 - PBS LearningMedia -Dissection 101: Detailed Cow Eye Dissection Video Part 2 (11:18) - VIEW and DO
- Grades 9-12 - NHPBS Video - Ask the Doctors - Eyes and Vision (57:58) - VIEW
THEME: CUBAN MISSILE CRISIS
- Grades 7-12 - JFK Library - The Cuban Missile Crisis - READ and LISTEN
- Grades 7-12 - EDSITEment - The Cuban Missile Crisis Curriculum Resources - READ and DO
- Grades 7-12 - National Archives -One Step from Nuclear War - READ
- Grades 7-12 - NHPBS Video - The Bomb -The Cuban Missile Crisis (5:21) - VIEW
- Grades 7-12 - NHPBS Video - American Experience - JFK and Crisis: The Cuban Missile Crisis (2:56) - VIEW
- Grades 7-12 - NHPBS Video - History Detectives - 3D Cuban Missile Crisis (7:17) - VIEW
- Grades 9-12 - NHPBS Video - Cuban Missile Crisis: Three Men Go to War (55:24) - VIEW
- Grades 9-12 - PBS LearningMedia - Cuban Missile Crisis: Three Men Go to War - The Most Dangerous Time for the Human Race (2:37) - VIEW, READ, DO
- Grades 9-12 - PBS LearningMedia - Cuban Missile Crisis: Three Men Go to War - Potential Outcomes of a Nuclear Strike (8:18) - VIEW, READ, DO
- Grades 9-12 - PBS LearningMedia - Cuban Missile Crisis: Three Men Go to War - Kennedy's Speech (3:02) - VIEW, READ, DO
- Grades 9-12 - PBS LearningMedia - Cuban Missile Crisis: Three Men Go to War - Communications among Khrushchev, Castro, and Kennedy (9:59) - VIEW, READ, DO
NHPBS - 11.1 Comcast (802) Live Stream More Options
NHPBS EXPLORE - 11.2 Comcast (801) More Options
NH WORLD - 11.3 Comcast (965) More Options
NH KIDS - 11.5 Schedule Live Stream More Options
National Remote Learning Resources
NHPBS and PBS have curated FREE, standards-aligned videos, interactives, lesson plans, and more for educators. You can also create your own lessons and assignments to meet the needs of your students.
Searchable online video courses and interactives across the curriculum and grade levels in areas like chemistry, literature, music, the visual arts, social studies, world languages storytelling, spelling and lots more.
Everyday Scholastic will feature four learning experiences, built around a story or video.
A series of imaginatively produced videos featuring celebrated actors reading children's books.
Local Learning Resources
The best of NH learning resources from around the state.
McAuliffe-Shepard Discovery Center
New Hampshire Public Radio:
- Civics 101 - Tons of great (and free!) audio, activities, resources, and lessons to help you stay engaged with civics.
- Ask Sam - Ask Sam features Outside/In host Sam Evans-Brown answering listener questions about the mysteries and quirks of the natural world.
Seacoast Science Center in Odiorne Point State Park
- Learning Connection - Even though their doors are closed, we’re still here to connect you to the inspirational powers of nature and engage you in learning.
Squam Lakes Natural Science Center
Strawbery Banke Museum
- Online Learning - Virtual Tours, the Virtual Classroom, artifacts of the week, featured items from the Collections, Horticulture Learning Center materials, and more.
Tiger Takes On
PBS Kids for Teachers/Caregivers/Parents
- PBS for Parents
A guide of PBS resources targeted for parents teaching kids, features a great activity finder
- PBS Education
The greatest teachers ignite a love of learning and a sense of possibility that motivates students to reach their full potential.
- PBS Teachers' Lounge
This site has great teaching tips, ideas, resources and support for teachers.
- PBS KIDS Games app
Offers nearly 200 educational games, which can be downloaded for offline play anytime, anywhere.