Digging Some Learning
Wednesday, October 13, 2021
Today is National Bring Your Teddy Bear To Work & School Day, National Fossil Day, National Take Your Parents To Lunch Day, Navy Birthday, and Silly Sayings Day.
This is National Metric Week, Earth Science Week, and Teen Read Week.
October is Apple Month, Chili Month, Down Syndrome Awareness Month, Dyslexia Awareness Month, Bullying Prevention Month, Country Music Month, National Arts & Humanities Month, Bat Appreciation Month, and Raptor Month.
On This Date
Songs of the Day
Today's Theme: Fossils
ON THIS DATE
SONGS OF THE DAY
- Paul Simon - You Can Call Me Al - LISTEN
- Paul Simon - Sesame Street - Me and Julio Down by the School Yard - LISTEN
- Science with Don - Fossil Rock Anthem - LISTEN
- Grades PreK-2 - PBS LearningMedia - Dinosaur Train - Fossil Finder - DO
- Grades PreK-2 - PBS LearningMedia - Dinosaur Train - All About Fossils (2:06) - VIEW and DO
- Grades PreK-2 - PBS LearningMedia - Dinosaur Train - Footprints and Trackways (4:01) - VIEW and DO
- Grades PreK-2 - Dinosaur Train - Dinosaur Discoveries - Fossils (1:41) - VIEW
- Grades PreK-2 - Nature Cat - Mammoth Fossil (3:15) - VIEW
- Grades PreK-3 - PBS Parents - Crafts for Kids - Homemade Fossils - DO
- Grades K-6 - PBS LearningMedia - Science Trek - Dinosaurs with David Varricchio Collection (6:02) - VIEW
- Grades 3-5 - PBS LearningMedia - Outdoor Nevada - Fossil Hunting (6:07) - VIEW and DO
- Grades 3-6 - PBS LearningMedia - Science Trek - Fossils: The Hagerman Horse (3:26) - VIEW and DO
- Grades 4-6 - PBS LearningMedia - DragonflyTV - Scientist Profile: Paleontologist (2:35) - VIEW
- Grades 4-8 - PBS LearningMedia - NC Science Now - Mystery Dino Science (6:23) - VIEW
- Grades 6-8 - PBS LearningMedia - Smithsonian Science How - How Fossils Explain the Rise of Dinosaurs (29:14) - VIEW
- Grades 6-8 - PBS LearningMedia - Smithsonian Science How - Global Change: Reading Ocean Fossils (29:16) - VIEW
- Grades 6-12 - American Museum of Natural History - Meet the Paleontologists (2:45) - VIEW
- Grades 6-12 - PBS LearningMedia - Nova - Becoming a Fossil (2:34) - VIEW, READ, DO
- Grades 6-12 - PBS LearningMedia - Nova - Fossils: Rocking the Earth (2:08) - VIEW and DO
- Grades 6-12 - NHPBS Video - Eons - Were These Monsters Inspired by Fossils? (12:18) - VIEW
- Grades 6-12 - NHPBS Video - Eons - How a Supervolcano Made the Cenozoic’s Coolest Fossils (9:24) - VIEW
- Grades 6-12 - NHPBS Video - Eons - The Most Useful Fossils In The World (5:48) - VIEW
- Grades 6-12 - NHPBS Video - Eons - Can We Get DNA From Fossils? (11;21) - VIEW
- Grades 6-12 - NHPBS Video - Eons - The Oddest Couple in the Fossil Record (8:48) - VIEW
- Grades 6-12 - NHPBS Video - Prehistoric Roadtrip Series - VIEW
- Grades 9-12 - PBS LearningMedia - Regents Review 2.0 - Fossils Collection (7:15) - VIEW
NHPBS - 11.1 Comcast (802) Live Stream More Options
NHPBS EXPLORE - 11.2 Comcast (801) More Options
NH WORLD - 11.3 Comcast (965) More Options
NH KIDS - 11.5 Schedule Live Stream More Options
National Remote Learning Resources
NHPBS and PBS have curated FREE, standards-aligned videos, interactives, lesson plans, and more for educators. You can also create your own lessons and assignments to meet the needs of your students.
Searchable online video courses and interactives across the curriculum and grade levels in areas like chemistry, literature, music, the visual arts, social studies, world languages storytelling, spelling and lots more.
Everyday Scholastic will feature four learning experiences, built around a story or video.
A series of imaginatively produced videos featuring celebrated actors reading children's books.
Local Learning Resources
The best of NH learning resources from around the state.
McAuliffe-Shepard Discovery Center
New Hampshire Public Radio:
- Civics 101 - Tons of great (and free!) audio, activities, resources, and lessons to help you stay engaged with civics.
- Ask Sam - Ask Sam features Outside/In host Sam Evans-Brown answering listener questions about the mysteries and quirks of the natural world.
Seacoast Science Center in Odiorne Point State Park
- Learning Connection - Even though their doors are closed, we’re still here to connect you to the inspirational powers of nature and engage you in learning.
Squam Lakes Natural Science Center
Strawbery Banke Museum
- Online Learning - Virtual Tours, the Virtual Classroom, artifacts of the week, featured items from the Collections, Horticulture Learning Center materials, and more.
Tiger Takes On
PBS Kids for Teachers/Caregivers/Parents
- PBS for Parents
A guide of PBS resources targeted for parents teaching kids, features a great activity finder
- PBS Education
The greatest teachers ignite a love of learning and a sense of possibility that motivates students to reach their full potential.
- PBS Teachers' Lounge
This site has great teaching tips, ideas, resources and support for teachers.
- PBS KIDS Games app
Offers nearly 200 educational games, which can be downloaded for offline play anytime, anywhere.