Tuesday, September 14, 2021
Today is Live Creative Day and National Cream-Filled Doughnut Day.
September is National Square Dancing Month, National Food Safety Education Month, Classical Music Month, Library Card Sign-up Month, National Hispanic Heritage Month, National Save A Tiger Month, College Savings Month, and Be Kind To Editors & Writers Month.
Songs of the Day
Today's Theme: Moon Exploration
ON THIS DATE
- 1741 - George Frideric Handel completes his oratorio, Messiah.
- 1814 - Francis Scott Key writes the poem "Defense of Fort Henry" which becomes the lyrics to the "Star-Spangled Banner."
- 1901 - President William McKinley dies from his wounds after being shot on September 6 by anarchist Leon Czolgosz. He is succeeded by Vice President Theodore Roosevelt.
- 1959 - The Soviet space probe Luna 2 becomes the first man-made object to reach the moon when it crashes into the moon.
- 2001 - President George W. Bush tours the ruins at the World Trade Center and addresses the crowd via bullhorn from atop the rubble.
SONGS OF THE DAY
- Frank Sinatra - Fly Me To the Moon - LISTEN
- The Police - Walking On The Moon - LISTEN
- REM - Man On the Moon - LISTEN
- Creedence Clearwater Revival - Bad Moon Rising - LISTEN
- Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon - LISTEN
- Cat Stevens - Moonshadow - LISTEN
- Glenn Miller - Moonlight Serenade - LISTEN
- Sarah Vaughan - Moon River - LISTEN
- Billie Holiday- Blue Moon - LISTEN
- The Marcels - Blue Moon - LISTEN
- Bill Monroe and the Bluegrass Boys - Blue Moon of Kentucky - LISTEN
- Elvis Presley - Blue Moon of Kentucky - LISTEN
- Claude DeBussy - Clair de Lune - LISTEN
- David Bowie - Space Oddity - LISTEN
- Elton John - Rocket Man - LISTEN
- Royal Choral Society - Hallelujah Chorus from Handel's Messiah - LISTEN
THEME: THE MOON
- Grades PreK-1 - Sesame Street - I Don't Want to Live On the Moon (Original) (2:38) - VIEW
- Grades PreK-1 - Sesame Street - I Don't Want to Live On the Moon (Animated) (2:58) - VIEW
- Grades PreK-1 - Sesame Street - I Don't Want to Live on the Moon with Ernie (Lennon and Maisy) (2:54) - VIEW
- Grades PreK-1 - Sesame Street - Cookie Monster Thinks the Moon is a Cookie featuring Buzz Aldrin (54:53) - VIEW
- Grades K-3 - Ready Jet Go! - Landing on the Moon (1:16) - VIEW
- Grades K-3 - Ready Jet Go! - Why does the Moon Change Shape? (1:45) - VIEW
- Grades K-3 - Ready Jet Go! - My Moon Journal - DO
- Grades K-3 - PBS LearningMedia - Journey to the Moon (6:11) - VIEW
- Grades 3-5 - NHPBS LearningMedia - Moon Phases Simulation Viewed From Earth and Space (Available in Spanish) - DO
- Grades 4-8 - PBS LearningMedia - STEM in 30 -Voyage to the Moon: 50 Years Ago and Today (28:29) - VIEW
- Grades 5-8 - PBS LearningMedia - STEM in 30 - Moon Rocks (31:09) - VIEW
- Grades 5-12 - NASA - The Moon - VIEW and READ
- Grades 6-8 - NHPBS LearningMedia - Phases of the Moon (Available in Spanish) - DO
- Grades 6-8 - NHPBS LearningMedia - Nova - Back to the Moon - Finding Water on the Lunar Surface (3:31) - VIEW
- Grades 6-12 - NHPBS LearningMedia - American Experience - The Road to Apollo: An Interactive Journey - DO
- Grades 6-12 - NHPBS LearningMedia - American Experience - Chasing the Moon - Sputnik’s Launch Begins the Space Race (5:55) - VIEW, READ, DO
- Grades 6-12 - NHPBS LearningMedia - Quest - NASA Ames Rocket to the Moon (11:41) - VIEW and DO
- Grades 6-12 - NHPBS LearningMedia - Nova - Origin of the Moon (Available in Spanish) (3:56) - VIEW
- Grades 7-12 - NHPBS Video - American Experience - Chasing the Moon, Part 1 (1:52:54) - VIEW
- Grades 7-12 - NHPBS Video - American Experience - Chasing the Moon, Part 2 (1:52:05) - VIEW
- Grades 7-12 - NHPBS Video - American Experience - Chasing the Moon, Part 3 (1:52:32) - VIEW
- Grades 7-12 - NHPBS Video - It's Okay to Be Smart - Apollo’s Most Important Discovery: Inside NASA’s Moon Rock V (10:22) - VIEW
- Grades 7-12 - NHPBS Video - It's Okay to Be Smart - Why We Should Put Rockets on the Moon (11:30) - VIEW
- Grades 9-12 - NHPBS LearningMedia - Crash Course Astronomy - Moon Phases (9:45) - VIEW
- Grades 9-12 - NHPBS LearningMedia - NASA - Evolution of the Moon (Available in Spanish) (2:32) - VIEW
- Grades 9-12 - NHPBS LearningMedia - NASA - Meet ATHLETE, a Moon Rover (3:15) - VIEW, READ, DO
NHPBS - 11.1 Comcast (802) Live Stream More Options
NHPBS EXPLORE - 11.2 Comcast (801) More Options
NH WORLD - 11.3 Comcast (965) More Options
NH KIDS - 11.5 Schedule Live Stream More Options
National Remote Learning Resources
NHPBS and PBS have curated FREE, standards-aligned videos, interactives, lesson plans, and more for educators. You can also create your own lessons and assignments to meet the needs of your students.
Searchable online video courses and interactives across the curriculum and grade levels in areas like chemistry, literature, music, the visual arts, social studies, world languages storytelling, spelling and lots more.
Everyday Scholastic will feature four learning experiences, built around a story or video.
A series of imaginatively produced videos featuring celebrated actors reading children's books.
Local Learning Resources
The best of NH learning resources from around the state.
McAuliffe-Shepard Discovery Center
New Hampshire Public Radio:
- Civics 101 - Tons of great (and free!) audio, activities, resources, and lessons to help you stay engaged with civics.
- Ask Sam - Ask Sam features Outside/In host Sam Evans-Brown answering listener questions about the mysteries and quirks of the natural world.
Seacoast Science Center in Odiorne Point State Park
- Learning Connection - Even though their doors are closed, we’re still here to connect you to the inspirational powers of nature and engage you in learning.
Squam Lakes Natural Science Center
Strawbery Banke Museum
- Online Learning - Virtual Tours, the Virtual Classroom, artifacts of the week, featured items from the Collections, Horticulture Learning Center materials, and more.
Tiger Takes On
PBS Kids for Teachers/Caregivers/Parents
- PBS for Parents
A guide of PBS resources targeted for parents teaching kids, features a great activity finder
- PBS Education
The greatest teachers ignite a love of learning and a sense of possibility that motivates students to reach their full potential.
- PBS Teachers' Lounge
This site has great teaching tips, ideas, resources and support for teachers.
- PBS KIDS Games app
Offers nearly 200 educational games, which can be downloaded for offline play anytime, anywhere.