Fighting for Equality Learning
Wednesday, December 1, 2021
Today is Antarctica Day, Rosa Parks Day, and World Aids Day.
Songs of the Day
Today's Theme: Rosa Parks and Antarctica
ON THIS DATE
- 1824 - The House of Representatives meets to decide the presidential election because no candidate received a majority in the Electoral College.
- 1865 - Shaw University, the first historically black university in the southern United States, is founded in Raleigh, North Carolina.
- 1913 - The Ford Motor Company introduces the first moving assembly line.
- 1924 - The NHL's first U.S.-based franchise, the Boston Bruins, play their first game.
- 1955 - In Montgomery, Alabama, Rosa Parks is arrested when she refuses to give up her seat on a bus seat to a white man.
- 1959 - 12 countries, including the U.S., sign a treaty establishing Antarctica as a scientific preserve, free from military activity.
- 1969 - The U.S. holds its first draft lottery since World War II.
SONGS OF THE DAY
- Janelle Monae - Hell You Talmbout - LISTEN
- David Byrne's American Utopia - Hell You Talmbout - LISTEN
- Bette Midler - Wind Beneath My Wings - LISTEN
THEME: Rosa Parks
- Grades K-3 - Xavier Riddle and the Secret Museum - Rosa Parks (3:01) - VIEW
- Grades 3-7 - PBS LearningMedia - Rosa Parks: Civil Rights Activist (Available in Spanish) (3:48) - VIEW, and DO
- Grades 3-12 - PBS LearningMedia - Rosa Parks Interview (2:13) - VIEW, READ, DO
- Grades 5-12 - PBS LearningMedia - Rosa Parks and the Montgomery Bus Boycott (6:29) - VIEW and DO
- Grades 5-12 - ReadWriteThink - Rosa Parks Activity - READ and DO
- Grades 7-12 - PBS LearningMedia - Montgomery Bus Boycott (35:05) - VIEW and DO
- Grades 8-12 - NHPBS VIdeo - The Origins of Everything - Is the Rosa Parks Story True? (8:44) - VIEW
- Grades 8-12 - NHPBS VIdeo - They Dared! - Claudette Colvin (2:41) - VIEW
- Grades K-4 - Wild Kratts - Penguin Power (2:50) - VIEW
- Grades 5-8 - Jonathan Bird's Blue World - Antarctica (16:35) - VIEW
- Grades 6-8 - NHPBS LearningMedia - Antarctica Today (7:32) - VIEW and DO
- Grades 6-8 - NHPBS LearningMedia- Antarctica's Climate Secrets Media Collection - VIEW and DO
- Grades 6-8 - NHPBS LearningMedia - Antarctica's Ice on the Move (7:34) - VIEW and DO
- Grades 6-8 - NHPBS LearningMedia - Nova - Antarctica: Sea Ice (2:34) - VIEW, READ, DO
- Grades 5-12 - NHPBS Video - Antarctic Extremes Series - VIEW
- Grades 6-12 - NHPBS LearningMedia - Earth's Cryosphere: Antarctica (Available in Spanish) (2:38) - VIEW, READ, DO
- Grades 6-12 - NHPBS LearningMedia - Nova - Microbial Life in Antarctica (Available in Spanish) (2:27) - VIEW and DO
- Grades 6-12 - NHPBS LearningMedia - Nova - Thriving on the Arctic Seafloor (Available in Spanish) (1:10) - VIEW and DO
- Grades 6-12 - NHPBS Video - When Antarctica Was Green (11:03) - VIEW
- Grades 6-12 - NHPBS Video - Reactions - Why Don’t Antarctic Fish Freeze to Death? (4:10) - VIEW
- Grades 6-12 - NHPBS Video - PBS NewsHour - Can Antarctica Remain a Refuge for Science and Peace? (9:37) - VIEW
- Grades 6-12 - NHPBS LearningMedai - Antarctica's Dry Valleys (4:33) - VIEW, READ, DO
NHPBS - 11.1 Comcast (802) Live Stream More Options
NHPBS EXPLORE - 11.2 Comcast (801) More Options
NH WORLD - 11.3 Comcast (965) More Options
NH KIDS - 11.5 Schedule Live Stream More Options
National Remote Learning Resources
NHPBS and PBS have curated FREE, standards-aligned videos, interactives, lesson plans, and more for educators. You can also create your own lessons and assignments to meet the needs of your students.
Searchable online video courses and interactives across the curriculum and grade levels in areas like chemistry, literature, music, the visual arts, social studies, world languages storytelling, spelling and lots more.
Everyday Scholastic will feature four learning experiences, built around a story or video.
A series of imaginatively produced videos featuring celebrated actors reading children's books.
Local Learning Resources
The best of NH learning resources from around the state.
Cheshire County Historical Society
McAuliffe-Shepard Discovery Center
New Hampshire Public Radio:
- Civics 101 - Tons of great (and free!) audio, activities, resources, and lessons to help you stay engaged with civics.
- Ask Sam - Ask Sam features Outside/In host Sam Evans-Brown answering listener questions about the mysteries and quirks of the natural world.
Seacoast Science Center in Odiorne Point State Park
- Learning Connection - Even though their doors are closed, we’re still here to connect you to the inspirational powers of nature and engage you in learning.
Squam Lakes Natural Science Center
- A resource to keep you connected to nature - Enjoy nature at home with these online learning experiences brought to you by the Science Center’s Naturalists.
Strawbery Banke Museum
- Online Learning - Virtual Tours, the Virtual Classroom, artifacts of the week, featured items from the Collections, Horticulture Learning Center materials, and more.
Tiger Takes On
PBS Kids for Teachers/Caregivers/Parents
- PBS for Parents
A guide of PBS resources targeted for parents teaching kids, features a great activity finder
- PBS Education
The greatest teachers ignite a love of learning and a sense of possibility that motivates students to reach their full potential.
- PBS Teachers' Lounge
This site has great teaching tips, ideas, resources and support for teachers.
- PBS KIDS Games app
Offers nearly 200 educational games, which can be downloaded for offline play anytime, anywhere.