Layers of Learning
Saturday, September 16, 2023
Today is Trail of Tears Commemoration Day, Anne Bradstreet Day, Preservation of the Ozone Layer Day, Mayflower Day, Stepfamily Day, Guacamole Day, Play-doh Day, Coastal Cleanup Day, Eat an Apple Day, Red Panda Day, Locate An Old Friend Day, Cinnamon Raisin Bread Day, Collect Rocks Day, Dance Day, Gymnastics Day, Mexican Independence Day, Batman Day, Boys' and Girls' Club Day for Kids, and World Cleanup Day.
Hispanic/Latino Heritage Month Resource of the Day: Latino Americans: Empire of Dreams - Episode 2
Classical Music Month Resource of the Day: American Masters: Zitkála-Šá: Trailblazing American Indian Composer and Writer
Songs of the Day
Today's Theme: OZONE LAYER and RED PANDAS
ON THIS DATE
SONGS OF THE DAY
- ELO - Mr. Blue Sky - LISTEN
- B.B. King - The Thrill Is Gone - LISTEN
- B.B. King - How Blue Can You Get - LISTEN
THEME: OZONE LAYER
- Grades K-5 - NHPBS Kids Writers Contest - Jacob and Jack Save the Ozone (1:35) - VIEW
- Grades 3-6 - NASA - EO Kids - Ozone Hole - READ and DO
- Grades 5-12 - NHPBS Video - Why Don’t We Hear About the Ozone Hole Anymore? (4:16) - VIEW
- Grades 5-12 - NHPBS Video - PBS NewsHour - Antarctic Ozone Hole Believed to Be Shrinking (4:08) - VIEW
- Grades 6-12 - NASA - NASA Ozone Watch - VIEW, READ, DO, and MONITOR
- Grades 6-12 - NHPBS Video - Global Weirding - What About the Ozone Hole? (8:33) - VIEW
- Grades 6-12 - NHPBS LearningMedia - Changes in the Ozone Layer (2:49) - VIEW, READ, DO
- Grades 6-12 - NHPBS LearningMedia - Ozone Hole (Available in Spanish) (5:04) - VIEW, READ, DO
- Grades 6-12 - NHPBS LearningMedia - Ozone: The Good, the Bad, and the CFCs (4:58) - VIEW
- Grades 6-12 - NHPBS LearningMedia - Nova - A Hole in the Sky (Available in Spanish) (3:47) - VIEW, READ, and DO
- Grades 6-12 - NHPBS Video - Ozone Hole: How We Saved the Planet (55:51) - VIEW
- Grades 6-12 - NHPBS Video - Ozone Hole: How We Saved the Planet - Discovering the Ozone Hole (2:20) - VIEW
- Grades 6-12 - NHPBS Video - Ozone Hole: How We Saved the Planet - The World Takes Action (6:13) - VIEW
THEME: RED PANDAS
- Grades PreK-2 - NHPBS LearningMedia - Paws For a Minute - Red Panda (1:00) - VIEW and DO
- Grades PreK-12 - Beardsley Zoo - Red Panda Indoor Cam - VIEW
- Grades PreK-12 - Smithsonian National Zoo - Red Panda - VIEW and READ
- Grades K-4 - NHPBS LearningMedai - Camp TV - Red Pandas (5:16) - VIEW
- Grades K-4 - Wild Kratts - Red Panda Origins (2:30) - VIEW
- Grades K-4 - Wild Kratts - Red Panda Rescue Mission (3:21) - VIEW
- Grades K-4 - Wild Kratts - Discover Pandas and More Bears! (9:59) - VIEW
- Grades 4-12 - NHPBS WildLife Journal Junior - Ailuridae - Red Panda - READ
- Grades 8-12 - Animal Diversity Web - Red Panda - READ
More Learning Resources
Looking for some super cool crafts to do with your kids? Or maybe you need some expert parenting resources to help raise your child? You can find it all right here:
NHPBS and PBS have curated FREE, standards-aligned videos, interactives, lesson plans, and more for educators. You can also create your own lessons and assignments to meet the needs of your students.
Searchable online video courses and interactives across the curriculum and grade levels in areas like chemistry, literature, music, the visual arts, social studies, world languages storytelling, spelling and lots more.
Everyday Scholastic will feature four learning experiences, built around a story or video.
A series of imaginatively produced videos featuring celebrated actors reading children's books.
Local Learning Resources
The best of NH learning resources from around the state.
Cheshire County Historical Society
New Hampshire Public Radio:
- Civics 101 - Tons of great (and free!) audio, activities, resources, and lessons to help you stay engaged with civics.
- Ask Sam - Ask Sam features Outside/In host Sam Evans-Brown answering listener questions about the mysteries and quirks of the natural world.
Seacoast Science Center in Odiorne Point State Park
- Learning Connection - Even though their doors are closed, we’re still here to connect you to the inspirational powers of nature and engage you in learning.
Squam Lakes Natural Science Center
- A resource to keep you connected to nature - Enjoy nature at home with these online learning experiences brought to you by the Science Center’s Naturalists.
Strawbery Banke Museum
- Online Learning - Virtual Tours, the Virtual Classroom, artifacts of the week, featured items from the Collections, Horticulture Learning Center materials, and more.
Tiger Takes On
PBS Kids for Teachers/Caregivers/Parents
- PBS for Parents
A guide of PBS resources targeted for parents teaching kids, features a great activity finder
- PBS Education
The greatest teachers ignite a love of learning and a sense of possibility that motivates students to reach their full potential.
- PBS Teachers' Lounge
This site has great teaching tips, ideas, resources and support for teachers.
- PBS KIDS Games app
Offers nearly 200 educational games, which can be downloaded for offline play anytime, anywhere.