Learning About Our History
Wednesday, May 31, 2023
Today is National Macaroon Day, National Smile Day, World Parrot Day, and World Otter Day.
Songs of the Day
Today's Theme: Tulsa Race Massacre and Fire and Otters
ON THIS DATE
- 1790 - The United States enacts its first copyright statute, the Copyright Act of 1790.
- 1889 - A dam break floods Johnstown, Pennsylvania, killing over 2,000.
- 1911 - The RMS Titanic is launched.
1913 - The 17th Amendment, allowing for the popular election of U.S. senators, goes into effect.
- 1921 - The Tulsa race massacre kills up to 300.
- 1990 - The sitcom Seinfeld premieres
- 2005 - Former FBI official Mark Felt is identified as Deepthroat.
- 2017 - President Donald Trump tweets the word "covfefe."
SONGS OF THE DAY
- Johnny Paycheck - Take This Job and Shove It - LISTEN
- Run DMC - It's Tricky -LISTEN
- Led Zepplin - When The Levee Breaks - LISTEN
THEME: The Tulsa Race Massacre and Fire
- Grades 7-12 - PBS LearningMedia - Tulsa: The Fire and the Forgotten Collection - VIEW, READ, DO
- Grades 7-12 - PBS LearningMedia - PBS NewsHour - The Tulsa Massacre’s Effects on the Black Community 100 Years Later (6:48) - VIEW, READ, DO
- Grades 7-12 - NHPBS Video - PBS NewsHour - How Art is Retelling the Powerful Stories of the Tulas Massacre (7:15) - VIEW
- Grades 7-12 - NHPBS Video - PBS NewsHour - Tulsa Revisited Special (26:46) - VIEW
- Grades 7-12 - NHPBS Video - Tulsa: The Fire and the Forgotten (1:24:44) - VIEW
- Grades 7-12 - NHPBS Video - Tulsa: The Fire and the Forgotten Panel Discussion (57:57) - VIEW
- Grades 7-12 - NHPBS Video - Tulsa Race Massacre 100 Years Later (59:00) - VIEW
- Grades 7-12 - NHPBS Video - Black Issues Forum - Remembering Tulsa and Investing for Racial Equity (26:46) - VIEW
- Grades 7-12 - NHPBS Video - American Black Journal - Juneteenth/The Tulsa Race Massacre (23:55) -VIEW
- Grades 7-12 - NHPBS Video - American Experience - Goin' Back to T-Town (53:28) - VIEW
- Grades 7-12 - Library of Congress - Tulsa Race Massacre Research Guide - READ
- Grades 7-12 - Oklahoma Libraries - Tulsa Race Massacre - READ
- Grades 7-12 - National Endowments for the Humanities - Tulsa Race Massacre - READ
- Grades 7-12 - C-Span - Tulsa Race Massacre Lesson Plan - VIEW, READ, DO
- Grades 7-12 - NY Times - Teaching About the Tulsa Race Massacre - VIEW, READ, DO
- Grades 7-12 - Tulsa Historical Society and Museum - Tulsa Race Massacre - VIEW, READ, LISTEN
- Grades 7-12 - National Museum of African American History - Tulsa Objects - EXPLORE
- Grades PreK-1 - Sesame Street - Dance Like an Otter (1:02) - VIEW
- Grades K-2 - Monterey Bay Aquarium Learn At Home Free Class - VIEW and DO
- Grades 3-12 - Sea Otters - Monterey Bay Aquarium - READ and VIEW
- Grades K-5 - Wild Kratts - Otter Power - (2:06) VIEW
- Grades K-5 - Wild Kratts - River Otters vs. Sea Otters (7:00) - VIEW
- Grades K-5 - Cyberchase - Sea Otters, Kelp, and Urchins (2:33) - VIEW
- Grades PreK-12 - Monterey Bay Aquarium - Sea Otter Live Cam - VIEW
- Grades 4-6 - NHPBS LearningMedia - DragonFly TV - Otters (7:42) - VIEW and DO
- Grades 6-12 - NHPBS LearningMedia - Sea Otters vs. Climate Change (7:19) - VIEW and DO
- Grades 6-12 - NHPBS Learning Media - The Urchin and the Otter (6:49) - VIEW
- Grades 6-12 - NHPBS LearningMedia - A Sea Otters Adorable Adoption Story (6:54) - VIEW
NATURE - Panda's: Born to Be Wild
Wednesday, 5/31 from 8-9 pm NHPBS
Unlock the mysteries of wild pandas whose counterparts in captivity are known for their gentle image. Journey through the steep Qinling Mountains with filmmakers, scientists, and rangers to witness pandas' startling courtship and aggressive behaviors. NATURE Streaming Video
NOVA - Why Ships Crash
Wednesday, 5/31 from 9-10 pm NHPBS
When the colossal Ever Given container ship crashed into the bank of the Suez Canal in March 2021, international supply chains ground to a halt. How could such a disaster happen? And can the investigation help prevent future accidents? NOVA Streaming Video
SECRETS OF THE DEAD - Abandoning the Titanic
Wednesday, 5/31 from 10-11 pm NHPBS
Join a team of investigators as they search for the identity of the captain of a "mystery ship" that turned away from the "unsinkable" Titanic in its darkest hour, abandoning thousands of lives to the icy waters and their deaths. SECRETS OF THE DEAD Streaming Video
NH WORLD - 11.3 Comcast (965) More Options
INDEPENDENT LENS - The Donut King
Wednesday, 5/31 from7:30-9 pm NH WORLD
Hear the incredible story of Ted Ngoy. After fleeing Cambodia for the United States, he built a multi-million-dollar fried pastry empire, Christy's Doughnuts, and began living his American Dream. But a great rise often comes with a great fall. INDEPENDENT LENS Streaming Video
FRONTLINE - America's Dangerous Trucks
Wednesday, 5/31 from 9-10 pm NH WORLD
Deadly truck accidents and the fight over measures that could save thousands of lives. With ProPublica, investigating decades of legal maneuvering, political influence, lax regulation and industry opposition, as deaths rise. FRONTLINE Streaming Video
More Learning Resources
Looking for some super cool crafts to do with your kids? Or maybe you need some expert parenting resources to help raise your child? You can find it all right here:
NHPBS and PBS have curated FREE, standards-aligned videos, interactives, lesson plans, and more for educators. You can also create your own lessons and assignments to meet the needs of your students.
Searchable online video courses and interactives across the curriculum and grade levels in areas like chemistry, literature, music, the visual arts, social studies, world languages storytelling, spelling and lots more.
Everyday Scholastic will feature four learning experiences, built around a story or video.
A series of imaginatively produced videos featuring celebrated actors reading children's books.
Local Learning Resources
The best of NH learning resources from around the state.
Cheshire County Historical Society
New Hampshire Public Radio:
- Civics 101 - Tons of great (and free!) audio, activities, resources, and lessons to help you stay engaged with civics.
- Ask Sam - Ask Sam features Outside/In host Sam Evans-Brown answering listener questions about the mysteries and quirks of the natural world.
Seacoast Science Center in Odiorne Point State Park
- Learning Connection - Even though their doors are closed, we’re still here to connect you to the inspirational powers of nature and engage you in learning.
Squam Lakes Natural Science Center
- A resource to keep you connected to nature - Enjoy nature at home with these online learning experiences brought to you by the Science Center’s Naturalists.
Strawbery Banke Museum
- Online Learning - Virtual Tours, the Virtual Classroom, artifacts of the week, featured items from the Collections, Horticulture Learning Center materials, and more.
Tiger Takes On
PBS Kids for Teachers/Caregivers/Parents
- PBS for Parents
A guide of PBS resources targeted for parents teaching kids, features a great activity finder
- PBS Education
The greatest teachers ignite a love of learning and a sense of possibility that motivates students to reach their full potential.
- PBS Teachers' Lounge
This site has great teaching tips, ideas, resources and support for teachers.
- PBS KIDS Games app
Offers nearly 200 educational games, which can be downloaded for offline play anytime, anywhere.