Triple B Learning
Wednesday, May 24, 2023
Today is Asparagus Day, International Tiara Day, National Escargot Day, and Brother's Day.
Songs of the Day
Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month Resource of the Day
Today's Theme: Bridges, Bob Dylan, and Brothers
ON THIS DATE
- 1626 - Peter Minuit buys Manhattan
- 1844 - Samuel Morse sends the telegraph message "What hath God wrought" from the US Capitol to his assistant, Alfred Vail, in Baltimore.
- 1883 - The Brooklyn Bridge opens to traffic.
- 1935 - The first night game in Major League Baseball is played in Cincinnati at Crosley Field. The Reds beat the Phillies by a score of 2-1.
- 1962 - Astronaut Scott Carpenter orbits the Earth three times in the Aurora 7 space capsule.
- 2019 - British Prime Minister Theresa May announces her resignation as Leader of the Conservative Party
SONGS OF THE DAY
- Simon & Garfunkel - Bridge Over Troubled Water - LISTEN
- The Hollies - He Ain’t Heavy, He’s My Brother - LISTEN
- Patti LaBelle - New Attitude - LISTEN
- Bob Dylan - Like a Rolling Stone - LISTEN
- Rosanne Cash -Tennessee Flat Top Box - LISTEN
ASIAN AND PACIFIC ISLANDER RESOURCE OF THE DAY
NHPBS LearningMedia - Asian Americans - Early South Asian Immigration
- Grades PreK-1 - Sesame Street - Building Bridges - Murray's Science Experiments (2:19) - VIEW
- Grades PreK-1 - Sesame Street - Dinosaur on a Bridge (1:33) - VIEW
- Grades PreK-3 - Dinosaur Train - Bridge Builder Game - DO
- Grades PreK-3 - The Cat in the Hat - Bridge-a-rama Game - DO
- Grades K-5 - NHPBS Video - Crafts for Kids - Build and Test Paper Bridges (1:07) -VIEW and DO
- Grades 3-8 - NHPBS LearningMedia - Investigating a Suspension Bridge (2:55) - VIEW, READ and DO
- Grades 6-12 - NHPBS Video - Nova - Why Bridges Collapse (53:09) - VIEW
- Grades 6-12 - NHPBS LearningMedia - Design Squad - Truss Bridge (5:55) - VIEW, READ and DO
- Grades 6-12 - NHPBS LearningMedia - Design Squad - Suspension Bridge (5:11) - VIEW, READ and DO
- Grades 6-12- NHPBS LearningMedia - Picturing America - The Brooklyn Bridge (5:38) - VIEW and DO
- Grades 6-12 - NHPBS Video - Ken Burns Brooklyn Bridge Full Show and Clips - VIEW
THEME: Bob Dylan
- Grades 4-12 - NHPBS Video - In Performance at the White House - Bob Dylan (3:30) - VIEW
- Grades 6-12 - Rock and Roll Hall of Fame - Bob Dylan -VIEW and READ
- Grades 6-12 - NHPBS Video - Bob Dylan Live at Newport (1:23:09) - VIEW
- Grades 7-12 - NHPBS Video - Gallery America - Tulsa's Bob Dylan Center (27:48) - VIEW
- Grades 7-12 - Teach Rock - Bob Dylan as Poet - VIEW, READ, DO
- Grades 9-12 - NHPBS Video - Blank on Blank - Bob Dylan at 20 on Freak Shows (4:37) -VIEW
- Grades PreK-K - NHPBS LearningMedia - Dinosaur Train -Dinosaur Train (12:45) - VIEW and DO
- Grades PreK-K - NHPBS LearningMedia - Daniel Tiger's Neighborhood - We're Going to Have a New Baby in Our Family (2:14) - VIEW and DO
- Grades PreK-2 - NHPBS LearningMedia - PBS KIDS Rocks - Los Lobos: Brothers and Sisters (1:00) - VIEW and DO
- Grades PreK-2 - NHPBS LearningMedia - Let's Learn - Let's Share a Story: "My Brother Charlie" (13:52) - VIEW
- Grades 3-8 - NHPBS LearningMedia - Know Ohio - The Wright Brothers Take Flight (3:29) - VIEW and DO
- Grades 4-8 - NHPBS LearningMedia - PBS World Explorers - The Pizarro Brothers (Available in Spanish) (5:57) - VIEW
- Grades 9-12 - NHPBS LearningMedia - Brother, Can You Spare a Dime? and The Forgotten Man (5:17) - VIEW and DO
- Grades 9-12 - NHPBS LearningMedia - PBS Idea Channel - Super Mario Brothers as Surrealist Art? (2:19) - VIEW
WILD SCANDINAVIA - Fire and Ice
Wednesday, 5/24 from 8-9 pm NHPBS
Discover Scandinavia's kingdoms of fire and ice. Awake under the long polar night, Muskoxen, polar bears, and arctic foxes must navigate the dramatic transformation of their world as it melts into a sleepless rush of life under the midnight sun. WILD SCANDINAVIA Streaming Video
NOVA - Your Brain: Who's In Control?
Wednesday, 5/24 from 9-10 pm NHPBS
Are you in control of your brain, or is your brain controlling you? Dive into the latest research on the subconscious with neuroscientist Heather Berlin to see what's really driving the decisions you make. NOVA Streaming Video
SECRETS OF THE DEAD - Hindenburg's Fatal Flaw
Wednesday, 5/24 from 10-11 pm NHPBS
A fresh look at the science and conditions surrounding the Hindenburg explosion reveals 10 particular flaws that directly led to the infamous disaster in 1937. SECRETS OF THE DEAD Streaming Video
NHPBS EXPLORE - 11.2 Comcast (801) More Options
THEY VOLUNTEERED FOR THIS: MERRIL'S MARAUDERS
Tuesday, 5/23 from 1-2 pm NHPBS EXPLORE
Tom Brokaw narrates the tale of a group of volunteer soldiers who specialized in “hit and run” tactics in the jungles and mountains of Burma. THEY VOLUNTEERED FOR THIS: MERRIL'S MARAUDERS Streaming Video
HER WAR, HER STORY: WORLD WAR II
Tuesday, 5/23 from 2-3 pm NHPBS EXPLORE
Explore the stories of women caught up in World War II, from the American Home Front to Auschwitz Concentration Camp in Poland. HER WAR, HER STORY: WORLD WAR II Streaming Video
NH WORLD - 11.3 Comcast (965) More Options
ICON: MUSIC THROUGH THE LENS - On Camera
Wednesday, 5/24 from 2-3 pm NH WORLD
Get to know some of music photography's greatest names and what factors define an iconic image. ICON: MUSIC THROUGH THE LENS Streaming Video
ICON: MUSIC THROUGH THE LENS - On the Road
Wednesday, 5/24 from 3-4 pm NH WORLD
Hear the firsthand tales of the photographers who traveled with bands to capture the magic of live music, painting a vivid picture of life on the tour bus and in the photo pit. ICON: MUSIC THROUGH THE LENS Streaming Video
ICON: MUSIC THROUGH THE LENS - On the Record
Wednesday, 5/24 from 4-5 pm NH WORLD
Explore the evolution of album cover photography, from its roots in jazz and early rock 'n' roll, with anecdotes by art directors, musicians, and the photographers responsible for some of the world's most iconic album covers. ICON: MUSIC THROUGH THE LENS Streaming Video
More Learning Resources
Looking for some super cool crafts to do with your kids? Or maybe you need some expert parenting resources to help raise your child? You can find it all right here:
NHPBS and PBS have curated FREE, standards-aligned videos, interactives, lesson plans, and more for educators. You can also create your own lessons and assignments to meet the needs of your students.
Searchable online video courses and interactives across the curriculum and grade levels in areas like chemistry, literature, music, the visual arts, social studies, world languages storytelling, spelling and lots more.
Everyday Scholastic will feature four learning experiences, built around a story or video.
A series of imaginatively produced videos featuring celebrated actors reading children's books.
Local Learning Resources
The best of NH learning resources from around the state.
Cheshire County Historical Society
New Hampshire Public Radio:
- Civics 101 - Tons of great (and free!) audio, activities, resources, and lessons to help you stay engaged with civics.
- Ask Sam - Ask Sam features Outside/In host Sam Evans-Brown answering listener questions about the mysteries and quirks of the natural world.
Seacoast Science Center in Odiorne Point State Park
- Learning Connection - Even though their doors are closed, we’re still here to connect you to the inspirational powers of nature and engage you in learning.
Squam Lakes Natural Science Center
- A resource to keep you connected to nature - Enjoy nature at home with these online learning experiences brought to you by the Science Center’s Naturalists.
Strawbery Banke Museum
- Online Learning - Virtual Tours, the Virtual Classroom, artifacts of the week, featured items from the Collections, Horticulture Learning Center materials, and more.
Tiger Takes On
PBS Kids for Teachers/Caregivers/Parents
- PBS for Parents
A guide of PBS resources targeted for parents teaching kids, features a great activity finder
- PBS Education
The greatest teachers ignite a love of learning and a sense of possibility that motivates students to reach their full potential.
- PBS Teachers' Lounge
This site has great teaching tips, ideas, resources and support for teachers.
- PBS KIDS Games app
Offers nearly 200 educational games, which can be downloaded for offline play anytime, anywhere.