Learning on a Half Shell - Learning Power!
Tuesday, May 23, 2023
Today is National Taffy Day, Lucky Penny Day, and World Turtle Day.
Songs of the Day
Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month Resource of the Day
Today's Theme: Turtles
ON THIS DATE
- 1788 - South Carolina becomes the eighth state to ratify the Constitution.
- 1829 - Cyrill Demian receives a patent for the accordion in Vienna, Austria.
- 1934 - Bank robbers Bonnie and Clyde are killed by police in Bienville Parish, Louisiana.
- 1939 - The U.S. Navy submarine USS Squalus sinks off the coast of New Hampshire during a test dive. 24 sailors and two civilian technicians died, 32 sailors and one civilian naval architect are rescued the next day.
- 1969 - The Who's rock-opera album "Tommy" is released.
SONGS OF THE DAY
Rosemary Clooney - I Ain't Got Nobody - LISTEN
Jewel - Who Will Save Your Soul - LISTEN
The Turtles - You Showed Me - LISTEN
Elton John - Pinball Wizard - LISTEN
Merle Haggard - The Legend of Bonnie and Clyde - LISTEN
George Fame - The Ballad of Bonnie and Clyde - LISTEN
ASIAN AND PACIFIC ISLANDER RESOURCE OF THE DAY
NHPBS LearningMedia - Asian Americans On the Big Screen: Responding to Stereotypes
- Grades PreK-1 - Sesame Street - T is for Turtle (1:46) - VIEW
- Grades PreK-1 - Sesame Street - I Get There (2:02) - VIEW
- Grades PreK-3 - Nature Cat - Baby Sea Turtles (3:46) - VIEW
- Grades PreK-3 - Nature Cat - Celia the Sea Turtle (3:43) - VIEW
- Grades PreK-3 - Splash and Bubbles - Get Your Feet Wet - Baby Sea Turtles (1:29) - VIEW
- Grades K-3 - NHPBS - Up Close and Natural Instructional Video - Turtles (4:25) - VIEW
- Grades K-4 - Wild Kratts - Seeing Sea Turtles (2:40) - VIEW
- Grades K-4 - Wild Kratts - Boxed In (2:55) - VIEW
- Grades 3-8 - NHPBS Video - NatureWorks - Adaptation (Kemp's Ridley Sea Turtle) (14:45) - VIEW
- Grades 4-12 - Saving a Species: Sea Turtles (30:08) - VIEW
- Grades 4-6 - NHPBS LearningMedia - DragonflyTV - Turtle Research (5:04) - VIEW
- Grades 4-6 - NHPBS Learningmedia - DragonflyTV - Sea Turtles (7:32) - VIEW
- Grades 4-10 - NHPBS LearningMedia - The Kemps Ridley Sea Turtle (5:25) - VIEW, READ, DO
- Grades 5-12 - NHPBS LearningMedia - Untamed - Turtles (26:46) - VIEW, READ, DO
- Grades 5-12 - NHPBS Video - Eons - How the Turtle Got Its Shell (8:29) - VIEW
- Grades 5-12 - NHPBS Video - Troubled Waters: A Turtle's Tale (53:13) - VIEW
AMERICAN EXPERIENCE: GOIN' BACK TO T-TOWN
Tuesday, 5/23 from 9-10 pm NHPBS
Revisit Greenwood, a Black community in Tulsa. Torn apart in 1921 by a racially- motivated massacre, the neighborhood rose again but could not survive integration and urban renewal. A bittersweet portrait of small-town life told by those who lived it. AMERICAN EXPERIENCE: GOING BACK TO T-TOWN Streaming Video
FRONTLINE: Once Upon a Time in Iraq: Fallujah
Tuesday, 5/23 from 10-11 pm NHPBS
The enduring story of the battle of Fallujah is told by the people who lived through it. Twenty years after the invasion of Iraq, soldiers, journalists, and ordinary Iraqis recount one of the defining episodes of the war. FRONTLINE Streaming Video
NHPBS EXPLORE - 11.2 Comcast (801) More Options
INDEPENDENT LES: 9to5: The Story of a Movement
Tuesday, 5/23 from 1:30-3 pm NHPBS EXPLORE
Go inside the inspiring movement for women's workplace equality in the 1970s. Started by a group of Boston secretaries, the 9to5 cause used humor to attract press attention and shame bosses into giving better pay and ending sexual harassment. INDEPENDENT LENS Streaming Video
NH WORLD - 11.3 Comcast (965) More Options
FIRST PEOPLES - Australia
Tuesday, 5/23 from 8-9 pm NH WORLD
When Homo sapiens arrived in Australia, they were - for the first time - truly alone, surrounded by wildly different flora and fauna. How did they survive and populate a continent? FIRST PEOPLES Streaming Video
More Learning Resources
Looking for some super cool crafts to do with your kids? Or maybe you need some expert parenting resources to help raise your child? You can find it all right here:
NHPBS and PBS have curated FREE, standards-aligned videos, interactives, lesson plans, and more for educators. You can also create your own lessons and assignments to meet the needs of your students.
Searchable online video courses and interactives across the curriculum and grade levels in areas like chemistry, literature, music, the visual arts, social studies, world languages storytelling, spelling and lots more.
Everyday Scholastic will feature four learning experiences, built around a story or video.
A series of imaginatively produced videos featuring celebrated actors reading children's books.
Local Learning Resources
The best of NH learning resources from around the state.
Cheshire County Historical Society
New Hampshire Public Radio:
- Civics 101 - Tons of great (and free!) audio, activities, resources, and lessons to help you stay engaged with civics.
- Ask Sam - Ask Sam features Outside/In host Sam Evans-Brown answering listener questions about the mysteries and quirks of the natural world.
Seacoast Science Center in Odiorne Point State Park
- Learning Connection - Even though their doors are closed, we’re still here to connect you to the inspirational powers of nature and engage you in learning.
Squam Lakes Natural Science Center
- A resource to keep you connected to nature - Enjoy nature at home with these online learning experiences brought to you by the Science Center’s Naturalists.
Strawbery Banke Museum
- Online Learning - Virtual Tours, the Virtual Classroom, artifacts of the week, featured items from the Collections, Horticulture Learning Center materials, and more.
Tiger Takes On
PBS Kids for Teachers/Caregivers/Parents
- PBS for Parents
A guide of PBS resources targeted for parents teaching kids, features a great activity finder
- PBS Education
The greatest teachers ignite a love of learning and a sense of possibility that motivates students to reach their full potential.
- PBS Teachers' Lounge
This site has great teaching tips, ideas, resources and support for teachers.
- PBS KIDS Games app
Offers nearly 200 educational games, which can be downloaded for offline play anytime, anywhere.