Saturday, March 18, 2023
Today is Worldwide Quilting Day, National Sloppy Joe Day, Oatmeal Cookie Day, Play the Recorder Day, and World Sleep Day
Women's History Month Resource of the Day: BBC Idea: The True Story of Mary Anning the Girl Who Helped Discover Dinosaurs
Songs of the Day
Today's Theme: Dinosaurs and Quilts
ON THIS DATE
- 1766 - The British Parliament repeals the Stamp Act.
- 1937 - The New London School explosion in New London, Texas, kills 300 people, mostly children.
- 1944 - Mount Vesuvius in Italy erupts, killing 26 people.
- 1965 - Soviet cosmonaut Aleksei Leonov makes the first spacewalk.
- 1990 - 12 paintings worth around $500 million, are stolen from the Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum in Boston.
SONGS OF THE DAY
- Charley Pride - Kiss an Angel Goodmorning - LISTEN
- Vanessa Williams - Save the Best for Last - LISTEN
- Nikolai Rimsky-Korsakov- Flight of the Bumblebee - LISTEN
- Queen Latifah - I Know Where I've Been - LISTEN
- Grades PreK-2 - Dinosaur Train Web Site - VIEW and DO
- Grades PreK-5 - PBS LearningMedia - Dinosaur Train Collection - VIEW, READ, DO
- Grades K-6 - PBS LearningMedia - ScienceTrek - Dinosaur Basics - (5:51) VIEW and DO
- Grades 1-5 - PBS LearningMedia - Nature - The Adaptations that Helped a Giant Dinosaur Eat (5:13) - VIEW and DO
- grades 3-8 - PBS LearningMedia - Nature - Studying Adaptations for Walking in Dinosaurs (5:48) - VIEW and DO
- Grades 4-6 - PBS LearningMedia - DragonflyTV - GPS: Dinosaurs (8:04) - VIEW and DO
- Grades 5-12 - PBS LearningMedia - SciTech Now - Discussing Dinosaurs with a Paleontologist (5:42) - VIEW and DO
- Grades 6-12 - PBS LearningMedia - Birds Are Living Dinosaurs (5:24) - VIEW and DO
- Grades 9-12- PBS LearningMedia - Eons - Inside the Dinosaur Library (7:18) - VIEW
- Grades 9-12 - NHPBS Video - Eons - The Case of the Dinosaur Egg Thief (7:28) - VIEW
- Grades 9-12 - NHPBS Video - Eons - The Raptor That Made Us Rethink Dinosaurs (8:36) - VIEW
- Grades 9-12 - NHPBS Video - Eons - The Giant Dinosaur That Was Missing a Body (12:01) - VIEW
- Grades 9-12 - NHPBS Video - Eons - Was This Dinosaur a Cannibal? (10:37) - VIEW
- Grades 9-12 - NHPBS Video - Eons - When Dinosaurs Chilled in the Arctic (9:20) - VIEW
- Grades 9-12 - NHPBS Video - Eons - An Illustrated History of Dinosaurs (12:20) - VIEW
- Grades 9-12 - NHPBS Video - Eons - The Facts About Dinosaurs & Feathers (10:01) - VIEW
- Grades 9-12 - NHPBS Video - Eons - What Colors Were Dinosaurs? (5:02) - VIEW
- Grades 9-12 - NHPBS Video - Eons - What a Dinosaur Looks Like Under a Microscope (8:09) - VIEW
- Grades 9-12 - NHPBS Video - Be Smart - The Dinosaur On Your Thanksgiving Table (10:16) - VIEW
- Grades K-5 - EDSITEment - History in Quilts Lesson Plan - DO
- Grades K-10 - PBS LearningMedia - Geometric Quilts in the Style of Martha Osborn (2:41) - VIEW and DO
- Grades K-12 - PBS LearningMedia - Arts After School - Quilt Squares (4:03) - VIEW, READ, DO
- Grades K-12 - PBS LearningMedia - Anna Von Mertens: Visual Arts - Quilting (10:32) - VIEW and DO
- Grades 1-2 - Mattatuck Museum - Faith Ringgold and Story Quilts Lesson Plan - DO
Grades 2-8 - Southwest Educational Development Laboratory - Visual Arts Quilting Lesson Plan - DO
- Grades 4-12 - PBS Learning Media - Quilts: Juanita Yeager (5:10) - VIEW, READ, DO
- Grades 6-12 - New England Quilt Museum - VIEW and READ
- Grades 6-8 - PBS LearningMedia - Craft in America - Painting with Fabric: How Two Artists Make Quilts (8:24) - VIEW and DO
- Grades 6-12 - NHPBS Video - Craft in America - Quilts (55:06) - VIEW
- Grades 6-12 - PBS LearningMedia - Picturing America - Quilts (6:13) - VIEW and DO
- Grades 6-12 - PBS LearningMedia -The Quilts of Ken Burns in 360° (4:50) - VIEW and DO
NHPBS EXPLORE - 11.2 Comcast (801) More Options
SCIGIRLS - Feathered Friends
Saturday, 3/18 from 7:30-8 am NHPBS EXPLORE
Regina, Schuyler, and Anayia hit the streets of Denver to investigate what makes a good urban bird habitat, and transform a city school garden into a welcoming home for any flock of feathered friends. SCIGIRLS Streaming Video in English and Spanish
NH WORLD - 11.3 Comcast (965) More Options
P.O.V. - American Revolutionary: The Evolution of Grace Lee Boggs
Saturday, 3/18 from 1:30-3 pm NH WORLD
Grace Lee Boggs was a Chinese American philosopher, writer, and activist in Detroit with a thick FBI file and a surprising vision of what an American revolution can be. Rooted in 75 years of the labor, civil rights, and Black Power movements, she challenged a new generation to throw off old assumptions, think creatively and redefine revolution for our times. P.O.V.Streaming Video
More Learning Resources
Looking for some super cool crafts to do with your kids? Or maybe you need some expert parenting resources to help raise your child? You can find it all right here:
NHPBS and PBS have curated FREE, standards-aligned videos, interactives, lesson plans, and more for educators. You can also create your own lessons and assignments to meet the needs of your students.
Searchable online video courses and interactives across the curriculum and grade levels in areas like chemistry, literature, music, the visual arts, social studies, world languages storytelling, spelling and lots more.
Everyday Scholastic will feature four learning experiences, built around a story or video.
A series of imaginatively produced videos featuring celebrated actors reading children's books.
Local Learning Resources
The best of NH learning resources from around the state.
Cheshire County Historical Society
New Hampshire Public Radio:
- Civics 101 - Tons of great (and free!) audio, activities, resources, and lessons to help you stay engaged with civics.
- Ask Sam - Ask Sam features Outside/In host Sam Evans-Brown answering listener questions about the mysteries and quirks of the natural world.
Seacoast Science Center in Odiorne Point State Park
- Learning Connection - Even though their doors are closed, we’re still here to connect you to the inspirational powers of nature and engage you in learning.
Squam Lakes Natural Science Center
- A resource to keep you connected to nature - Enjoy nature at home with these online learning experiences brought to you by the Science Center’s Naturalists.
Strawbery Banke Museum
- Online Learning - Virtual Tours, the Virtual Classroom, artifacts of the week, featured items from the Collections, Horticulture Learning Center materials, and more.
Tiger Takes On
PBS Kids for Teachers/Caregivers/Parents
- PBS for Parents
A guide of PBS resources targeted for parents teaching kids, features a great activity finder
- PBS Education
The greatest teachers ignite a love of learning and a sense of possibility that motivates students to reach their full potential.
- PBS Teachers' Lounge
This site has great teaching tips, ideas, resources and support for teachers.
- PBS KIDS Games app
Offers nearly 200 educational games, which can be downloaded for offline play anytime, anywhere.