Vehicle Donation Frequently Asked Questions
Donate your car, truck or boat to NHPBS!
- What type of vehicles do you accept as donations?
We accept most cars, trucks, vans, fleet vehicles, trailers, boats, motorcycles, and RV's. If you have any questions about what you can donate, please send us an email or call us toll-free at 855-922-7727.
- Is my car donation tax deductible?
Vehicles donated will benefit NHPBS, a nonprofit classified with the IRS as a 501(c)(3) charitable organization and are tax deductible. For more information, you can check out A Donor's Guide to Vehicle Donations.
- What paperwork will I need for the DMV?
You will need to sign a release of liability and donation confirmation. Our driver will provide you with all the necessary paperwork. Once you sign the release of liability, you have five days to mail it to the DMV. Our driver will provide you with the address.
- What if I lost the title (pink slip)?
As long as you are the legal titleholder, our driver can pick up the vehicle and have you sign a duplicate title, which they will provide.
- What does NHPBS do with the vehicles?
The vehicles are sold at private auction. The proceeds are used to help support NHPBS. Funds from vehicle donations help NHPBS acquire and produce quality educational and entertainment programs and support our outreach efforts in the community.
- Is my contribution still deductible under the new tax laws?
Yes, under the new tax law effective in 2005, people who donate vehicles to charities can claim the actual amount for which the vehicle sells at auction. Previously, donors could claim the fair market value of the donated vehicle, regardless of how much money the vehicle sold for.
- Do I get a receipt for my donation which shows how much money my car raised for NHPBS?
Yes, you will be mailed a receipt that shows the amount your donated vehicle brought in at auction. You should expect to have your receipt of sale about four - eight weeks after you donate your vehicle.
- Can I value my vehicle before I donate it to NHPBS?
Many factors can contribute to the final selling price of any vehicle, including the make, model and year of your car, along with any mechanical or physical damage to the vehicle that could affect its value. We recommend Kelly Blue Book or Nada as resources that may help you to estimate the value of your vehicle.
NHPBS’s vehicle donation representatives cannot guarantee the final selling price, which is your charitable contribution to NHPBS
- My car hasn't run in years. Can I still donate it?
No, the car must have an engine and be towable. Cars that are in poor condition may be declined, as the cost to tow them may be more than the value of the vehicle.
- Are all cars donated to NHPBS sold at auction?
No. Occasionally, vehicles that are donated to NHPBS do not sell at auction. In those cases, vehicles are sold for scrap and you will receive a receipt for what the current market rate is for scrap metal.
- I donated my car several weeks ago but have not received my complimentary membership. When should I expect to receive it?
After your vehicle is sold and funds are received and processed at NHPBS, you will receive a complimentary twelve-month membership. This includes a monthly Connections newsletter which has our schedule and you will also be given a code to access our online streaming service, Passport.
- How will my car be picked up?
We will arrange to have your vehicle towed away at a scheduled time.
- How can I schedule a pickup?
Please complete and submit our Car Donation Form or call us 855-922-7727.
Car donation tax laws in effect as of Jan. 1st, 2005
Your vehicle donation is still tax deductible and will fall into one of these categories:
- For low value vehicle donations you can claim the fair market value up to $500.00 without any additional paperwork besides the receipt we will provide at the time of the pickup.
- If you donate a car that is worth more then $500.00, your deduction will be limited to the actual sale price of your car donation. If your vehicle is sold, all proceeds will benefit NHPBS, a 501(c)3 charity. You will be provided with a receipt stating the final sales price of your vehicle within 30 days of the sale of your donated car. We will work to get top dollar for your car donation.