NHPBS offers internships for "academic credit" or as a "non-paid workbase activity" to students pursuing a career in the broadcasting industry. Interns will receive valuable training covering all aspects of television production through hands-on experience. NHPBS provides interns with access to today's cutting-edge HD technology. Interns will spend time assisting all departments within NHPBS, including Production, Web,Communications, Educational Outreach, and Information Technology. This is a unique opportunity for an individual who is pursuing a career in broadcast journalism or production. We need highly motivated people who want to be an integral part of thoughtful and engaging programming.
Minimum 10 hours per week. Flexible hours: 9am-5pm, Monday through Friday with occasional weekends. Positions are limited.
Internship Opportunities by Department
- Web: Do you know and use the web? Do you want to gain new skills? We’re seeking an enthusiastic and reliable intern to assist our Web Producer with updating content for the NHPBS website (nhpbs.org). Work includes graphics editing and creation, web page editing and development, and data entry. We’re looking for a person who: is detail-oriented, would like to learn new and expand current skills, is curious about and wants to support the role of public television in our state and nation, and would like to be a member of a team of people who are dedicated to and enjoy their work.
- Production: Interns will lend support to NHPBS' local productions. Duties will vary day-to-day and can include the following: story research, scheduling interviews, transcribing field recordings, running camera (live and recorded productions), set building, lighting, floor directing, graphic production, assistant directing, teleprompting, and other duties as assigned.
- Communications: Students interested in marketing and promotion will get experience in writing copy for social media, news releases and on-air promos. We're looking for someone who loves to write, wants to learn basic video editing techniques and participate in an exciting multi-media landscape.
- Educational Outreach: Learn how public media is created and used in classrooms across the Granite State. Educational Outreach interns assist with on-air, online and field work for Granite State Challenge, Kids Write Contest, special projects and initiatives like STEM from the START, fairs and festivals. Great opportunity for aspiring educators or multi-media producers.
- Information Technology: Interns will learn how to write program specs, design database layouts, program screens for data input and reporting, integrate menu systems, execute programs, and link to older programs. Help develop a plan to ingest data from old system to new system and document processes.
Internships are offered during the fall semester, spring semester and over the summer. Fall internships typically begin the first week of September. Spring internships typically begin mid to late January. Summer internships typically begin in late May to early June.
Application deadline dates for an internship at NHPBS are as follows:
Fall semester - August 31.
Spring semester - November 30
Summer -March 31
Limited opportunities for interns are available during Winter, Spring and other academic breaks. If you are interested in an Internship with New Hampshire PBS please complete an internship application.