Episodes > White-tails in Winter > Teacher's Guide
White-tails in Winter - Teacher's Guide
Scientists look at how the white-tail survives in winter and how feeding deer in winter can cause serious damage to the deer. The episode also looks at research being done to learn more about the effects of feeding deer in winter. Length: 7:37 minutes View
1. Explain why feeding deer in winter may be detrimental to the deer.
2. Describe steps scientists are taking to determine the effects of human feeding on deer populations.
3. Recognize the distinct characteristics of the white-tailed deer.
4. Describe how forestry experts and wildlife experts are working together to preserve deer habitat.
Have students list reasons why feeding wildlife might do more harm than good to the animals.
1. Have students list some of the ill-effects feeding the white-tail deer in winter might lead to.
2. Have students research some of the reasons wild deer populations have been expanding in New Hampshire.
NatureWorks - Online Natural Science series and website for grades 3-8
Population Dynamics - View