Learning About Our History
Saturday, June 19, 2021
Today is Juneteenth, National Watch Day, World Juggling Day, and World Sickle Cell Day.
June is Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, Transgender Pride Month; National Oceans Month; National Rivers Month; and National Caribbean-American Heritage Month
Songs of the Day
Today's Theme: Juneteenth and Baseball
ON THIS DATE
- 325 - The Nicene Creed is adopted at the First Council of Nicaea.
- 1846 - The first reported baseball game is played on Hoboken's Elysian Fields. The New York Nine defeated the Knickerbockers.
- 1862 - U.S. Congress abolishes slavery in U.S. territories.
- 1865 - More than two years after the Emancipation Proclamation was issued, slaves in Texas are finally informed of their freedom. The day is now celebrated as Juneteenth.
- 1910 - The first Father's Day is celebrated
- 1917 - King George V changes the British royal family's surname from Saxe-Coburg-Gotha to Windsor.
1953 - Convicted spies Julius and Ethel Rosenberg are executed.
- 1964 - The Civil Rights Act of 1964 is approved by the Senate after an 83-day filibuster.
SONGS OF THE DAY
Heart - Barracuda - LISTEN
Paula Abdul - Opposites Attract- LISTEN
- Grades PreK-1 - Sesame Street - Juneteenth Song - VIEW
- Grades K-12 - Learning for Justice - Teaching Juneteenth - READ
- Grades K-5 - NHPBS LearningMedia - All About the Holidays - Juneteenth - VIEW
- Grades 3-8 - NHPBS LearningMedia - Juneteenth Jamboree Celebrations - VIEW and DO
- Grades 5-12 - ReadWriteThink - Celebrate Juneteenth - READ and DO
- Grades 6-12 - NHPBS LearningMedia - PBS NewsHour - Should Juneteenth Be a National Holiday? - VIEW, READ, DO
- Grades 6-12 - NHPBS Video - Juneteenth Jamboree - VIEW
- Grades 6-12 - PBS Newshour - What is Juneteenth? 4 Things You Should Know - VIEW and READ
- Grades 6-12 - PBS Newshour - Lesson Plan: History of Juneteenth and Why It’s Set to Become a National Holiday - VIEW and DO
- Grades 7-12 - The African Americans - What is Juneteenth - READ
- Grades 9-12 - NHPBS LearningMedia -Juneteenth Jamboree History - VIEW and DO
- Grades 9-12 - NHPBS Learning Media - Blackademics - Juneteenth - VIEW, READ, DO
- Grades 9-12 - NHPBS Video - Basic Black - Juneteenth - VIEW
- GRades 9-12 - NHPBS Video - American Black Journal - Juneteenth/The Tulsa Race Massacre - VIEW
- Grades PreK-1- Sesame Street - Ernie Plays Baseball - VIEW
- Grades PreK-1 - Sesame Street - Baseball School - VIEW
- Grades PreK-1 Sesame Street - Knock Me Out at the Ball Game - VIEW
- Grades PreK-1 - Sesame Street - Respect is a Homerun - Yankees and Red Sox - VIEW
- Grades 4-8 - NHPBS Learningmedia - Dragonfly TV - GPS: Baseball -VIEW and DO
- Grades 6-12 - NHPBS LearningMedia - Women in Baseball - VIEW, READ, DO
- Grades 6-12 - NHPBS LearningMedia - Ken Burns' Baseball in the Classroom - VIEW, READ, DO
- Grades 9-12 - NHPBS LearningMedia - The Physics of Baseball - VIEW, READ, DO
- Grades 9-12 - NHPBS Video - Ken Burns' Baseball - VIEW
National Remote Learning Resources
NHPBS and PBS have curated FREE, standards-aligned videos, interactives, lesson plans, and more for educators. You can also create your own lessons and assignments to meet the needs of your students.
Searchable online video courses and interactives across the curriculum and grade levels in areas like chemistry, literature, music, the visual arts, social studies, world languages storytelling, spelling and lots more.
Everyday Scholastic will feature four learning experiences, built around a story or video.
A series of imaginatively produced videos featuring celebrated actors reading children's books.
Local Learning Resources
The best of NH learning resources from around the state.
McAuliffe-Shepard Discovery Center
New Hampshire Public Radio:
- Civics 101 - Tons of great (and free!) audio, activities, resources, and lessons to help you stay engaged with civics.
- Ask Sam - Ask Sam features Outside/In host Sam Evans-Brown answering listener questions about the mysteries and quirks of the natural world.
Seacoast Science Center in Odiorne Point State Park
- Learning Connection - Even though their doors are closed, we’re still here to connect you to the inspirational powers of nature and engage you in learning.
Squam Lakes Natural Science Center
Strawbery Banke Museum
- Online Learning - Virtual Tours, the Virtual Classroom, artifacts of the week, featured items from the Collections, Horticulture Learning Center materials, and more.
Tiger Takes On
PBS Kids for Teachers/Caregivers/Parents
- PBS for Parents
A guide of PBS resources targeted for parents teaching kids, features a great activity finder
- PBS Education
The greatest teachers ignite a love of learning and a sense of possibility that motivates students to reach their full potential.
- PBS Teachers' Lounge
This site has great teaching tips, ideas, resources and support for teachers.
- PBS KIDS Games app
Offers nearly 200 educational games, which can be downloaded for offline play anytime, anywhere.